Friday, April 11, 2014

A More Perfect Selfie

me: [smashes through crush's bedroom window]
me: sO I NOTICED YOU DIDN'T LIKE MY SELFIE
me: [revs up chainsaw]


Recently, I posted a "selfie" on Facebook from St. Petersburg Beach, on Treasure Island in Florida. Bright sunshine prevented me from truly previewing the shot (which resembled a prison photo), but I was walking on the beach in shorts. Didn't all of my friends want to share that moment with me?

Apparently not.

One friend, an exceptionally talented co-worker, compared my picture favorably to Hunter S. Thompson, gonzo journalist. From his Wiki story:

"While suffering a bout of health problems, Thompson committed suicide at the age of 67. Per his wishes, his ashes were fired out of a cannon in a ceremony funded by his friend, Johnny Depp, and attended by a host of friends including then Senator John Kerry and Jack Nicholson."

Another long-time friend noted that I had developed double chins in my old age. He prescribed cycling.

Thank you, doctor. "Spring has sprung, the grass has rizz" my college friend Joe used to say. Beautiful blue sky, temperatures in the high sixties and low seventies.... I accepted invitations from friends for three rides this weekend and, by early afternoon today will have laid down over one hundred miles of quality time with buddies. Two rides are in the books - the first climbing of the season and a longer, flatter ride in yesterday's glorious sunshine. It is remarkable what riding bikes in warm weather with nice folks can do for my soul.

However (comma) blame the above revised selfie on my detail-oriented friend. It was the least I could do. Actually, it was the best I could do. I ain't James Bond. In fact, this goofy guy on the beach looks a lot like me! Maybe it is the perfect selfie after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment