Sunday, June 2, 2019

Fat Tires, Little Bits

“You know, bicycling isn't just a matter of balance," I said. "it's a matter of faith. You can keep upright only by moving forward. You have to have your eyes on the goal, not the ground. I'm going to call that the Bicyclist's Philosophy of Life.”
Susan Vreeland, Clara and Mr. Tiffany 

"I need a basic mountain bike," I said to the owner of Schwab Cycles in Lakewood. "Nothing special, just something I can ride with my grandkids."

So it began. The folks at Schwab have always come through for my friends and me. This was no exception. Pat had enthusiastically embraced the decision. There wasn't a lot to think about. I wasn't buying another sleek road bike. 

"I
have one right here. I can get you any color you want. It's $400. If you want disc brakes, that jacks it up to $600. It's a small, but..."

That's what I rode as a bike cop. Small. This one was basic black, no frills.

"I'll take it."

"You can ride it around the block if you want."

"It's a entry-level mountain bike. It looks fine."

It was fine. A day later...
This is what life looks like when you ride a bike.

2 comments: