Thursday, January 3, 2019

A New Year's Promise

"N-n-n-n, wait, wait. It was firm, it was adamant, it was resolved... It was resolved." Dr. Benjamin Gates (Nicholas Cage), National Treasure, 2004.

My Dad and I
CLETA Graduation 1979
New Year's resolutions get a bum rap. Post that you are going to visit the gym more and someone out there will chuckle - "What, two or three times?" Lose weight? Restaurant Week is next month. Save money?

I've spent the concluding three months of 2018 preparing to make 2019 my last year as a police officer. How's that for a New Year's Resolution?


May 1, 1979. I arrived promptly at eight AM... What would come to be 0800 hrs hereinafter. I met with the sergeant to whom I was assigned. He assured me it was okay to load my sidearm - a Smith and Wesson Model 64 .38 - with the rounds I had purchased myself. We met with "Number 1" and the Mayor, who swore me in. They gave me used body armor, introduced me to my training officer and... Three weeks later I was on my own. Three months later I went to CLETA, the regional police academy that was eight whole weeks long.


A figurative hair's breadth from forty years later I am rounder, grayer and have a much better idea of what I was getting into. And, a much better idea of what I'm leaving.


Part time work? No clue. Stick it out until the end of the year? Likely. Go back to Patrol, ride the bike for another year?

I'd love to. I'd love to reunite with the men and women with whom I've spent so many hours serving our community. Unfortunately...


Careers move on. People move on. Life moves on.


Yesterday, I spent several wonderful hours watching grandchildren. Today, I'll run errands and write a lot. Tomorrow?


Who knows. Next week vacation ends and my 2019 work year begins. My last?


It is resolved...



3 comments:

  1. They are lucky to have had you for that time. (Whether they believe it or not.) I will watch your final year journey with excitement and interest. You have so much more ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...Dang! You had a lot of hair 40 years ago! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! And - thank you for the compliments. I did it for the people I serve, not the people I serve, if you get my meaning. And yeah, those were the days...

    ReplyDelete