Friday, October 12, 2018

Prescribing Extroversion

"I have never liked working. To me a job is an invasion of privacy." Danny McGoorty

Choosing the opening quotation - sometimes funny, sometimes serious - is often fairly easy. A pithy quote (or great movie line) is what has started many a post. This time it is the idea of turning in my badge... But, not my guns. Let's not get too crazy.

We are two-thirds of the way through our first retirement planning class at the University of Denver. The assigned reading and exercises are designed for people who are "Third Age." That's us - Fiftyish to Seventy-ish. We are right in the middle. Ish.


Me, I'm in the final stages of my police career. By final stages I mean after thirty-nine years (minus five years off for bad behavior...law school and a law practice) of police service the end is in sight. A clean break presents itself next year, one I willingly accept.


A floodgate of clichés presents. I will not accept the invitation.


So, I've embarked on a learning journey. I'm a scholar. I have a doctoral degree. I've been a college professor. It's in the brochure somewhere that I'm supposed to look into shit. So, there.


The aforementioned class is one part of my "journey." Other formal classes may follow. But, I began with a visit to a shrink. Before anyone takes offense, she self-describes as one. "I'm a shrink," with which she often prefaces an illuminating and amusing observation. Her husband is a retired cop. I thought it would be a useful place to start.


One of the-- Hang on a sec. Okay, here's where my lawyer side comes out. Telling the following story in no way waives any HIPPA provision. There. I said it.


Among the discussions we had was how to keep from becoming socially isolated. She said that cops generally use work as their social arena. We've spent the better part of our lives relying on the people around us and we just gravitate to them at work. Etc. So, maintain your circle of friends.


Me - I'm an introvert. I only have about five friends.

Her - Well, make it a point to call them once in a while, meet for some activity.
Me - Like, call them out of the blue?
Her - Sure.
Me - That's a...thing?! I mean... People do that?

Apparently. So, this is fair warning.


If I call you without apparent provocation, don't be startled. I haven't really become an extrovert. I'm just doing what the doctor ordered.



No comments:

Post a Comment