Friday, July 20, 2018

A Special Mind

Please welcome Bridget Quenzer Shank. She is a Blue Line Wife, whose husband Amos would be an asset to any police department. She and daughter Katy are inseparable Maryland friends. This is reprinted with permission.   

I'm not sure what goes through your head. I can't imagine how hard your brain works to process and translate language from what makes sense to you into what makes sense to everyone else. I'm sorry for the moments you feel like a parrot, trapped and forced to mimic sounds other people want to hear, with all eyes on you. I'm sorry for the expectations placed on you that feel totally impossible to meet. I'm sorry it's just so darn hard to speak. And please know that if I could take this, if I could somehow miraculously switch places with you, I would. But since that can't happen, please know this... I love you. I love every perfect part of you. And when it feels tougher than usual, when it feels like no one speaks your language, remember that I do. Even when I can't understand your words, i hear you, and I will leave no stone unturned to advocate for your every need. You are an absolute delight, so beautifully and perfectly made, and just about the funniest person I know. Thank you for your patience dealing with me, my brain is not nearly as complex and smart as yours. I'm just an ordinary mama with an extraordinary daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment