Sunday, January 1, 2023

Nudge, not Noodge

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." —​ Maya Angelou

New Year's morning.


We were on the way up to Fort Collins, to skate with our daughter and granddaughter, when Pat introduced me to the notion of a "New Year's nudge." Not specifically resolution, per se. Nothing is resolved (that is, decided upon for the better), but there is a shift, a change in mindset. A direction. What would I nudge myself toward this year?

It seemed an excellent question. But, at heart, I am often a noodge, someone for whom the incidental suddenly becomes compelling, the minute blown all out of proportion. An arcane bit of legal trivia recruits far too many brain cells, some current event leads to a rant. So, it's altogether fitting and proper that I meddle with the nudge principle, and decide I will nudge myself away.

Away from repeated visits to news sites, on the theory that there might be something new. Away from opinion vendors, for whom extremism is a virtue, brevity a vice and repetition a credo. Away from the things that prevent me from reading books, listening to music, and writing - oh, glorious writing. Away from the driveway and onto the road, be it two wheels, four, or eight.

If this be escapism, let it begin, here. Escape from things I cannot change, attitudes that are toxic. Escape from burdens that are not mine to bear, loads I am not consigned. 

Nudged away to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment