Thursday, December 22, 2022

A Matter of Definition

 JRITC and National Rifle Association marksmanship training sparks online debate.

Fox News, 12/22/2022

I'll make this quick. How often is a discussion online a "debate." When I look up the word debate, there are an number of definitions that seem to suggest argument, which in and of itself is not necessarily bad. Merriam-Webster calls it a "contention," which implies something contentious. But... Is there ever a debate online?

Or, is it mostly name calling, asserting positions one has always taken (and always will), setting up strawman arguments and pithily slaying them...? How many of the people who took to Twitter to condemn the NRA as complicit to mass murder would, upon reflection, write - "Your argument swayed me, and I've changed my mind."

I confess I am as likely a sufferer as anyone else. Nevertheless, I strive to emulate former congressional representative Trey Gowdy, who alleges - "I am always one fact away from changing my opinion on many subjects." I take him at his word, and try to incorporate that into my daily life.

An "online debate." It's nice to start the morning off with a chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment