Thursday, August 20, 2020

A Moment of Weakness

 "Build up your weaknesses until they become your strengths." Knute Rockne.


I love to write. No kidding, huh? I often write just for the pure joy of creating scenes, characters, situations. I like nothing better than to take a long bike ride, think about a writing project (often with the help of my cycling friends) and then sit in front of a laptop for several hours.

I suck at marketing. 

It isn't that my writing sucks - it doesn't (I say that in all humility). It's just that when it comes to telling other people that they should buy one of my books, read it, and enjoy the ride, finding the words is a chore.

I took a class. It helped - a little.

I've had other people write things. It helped - a little.

I've "boosted" things on line. It helped - a little.

I thought maybe I'd look around, see who I could copy. I discovered a guy who plays guitar. Maybe...him?

His name is Joe Bonamassa. He's a blues guitarist of some repute, a guys who's won awards, played with some people I've actually heard of (as though that's the gold standard?) and appears at Red Rocks during years the 'Rona hasn't kept us all inside. He does brief videos, has voiceovers from that drag race guy ("Sunnnnddaaaayyy...") and generally makes a big deal out of his own music. Fine.

Torn from today's headlines, police procedural titan James A Greer's pithy new novel "A Guardian's Promise" combines grit, determination and sacrifice into a stunning web of fast-paced action and mystery. Enter the searing world of a policewoman whose femininity is often masked by the hardened, street-smart beat cop she has had to become. 

I dunno... Too much?

I actually think you'd like it, especially if you've ever wondered what really goes on inside a police department. I guess I'm something of an authority on that.

A little.


No comments:

Post a Comment